Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

brandycakes

financing a relocation
I am divorcing and need to get out of my ex-husband's house. I have enough money to make the rent of a place I have found. However every time I get money saved he is slamming me with another bill like the electric and stuff like that. I need the money for a deposit and a first month's rent about 2,600. Should I apply for a credit card or something and then pay it off when I get the asset settlement money?
Brandy

Do you have temporary orders that outline who is responsible for what? If you feel threatened or scared of him then keep the card for an emergency escape and get in touch with a women's shelter.  But otherwise I wouldn't use it to relocate. I'd prefer doing a personal loan of some type. 

Another thought, talk to the landlord and explain the situation. They might let you pay the deposit over a few months. Remember, you're entitled to 50 percent of the marital savings, so while you're on the hook for these bills you should also be ok to use marital funds for this. Obviously check with your attorney first. 

If you're stuck cohabitating for awhile then do your best to live a separate life. Don't talk to him, don't do his laundry or dishes. Treat it like a roommate situation.