Question

birgitte26

Filing Bankruptcy on a fixed income
I have a home loan they won't foreclose on even though I have abandoned the property, I cannot live there for domestic issues, and a car that was repossessed in a domestic dispute. The other loan holder on both has already filed bankruptcy. I am disabled and have a very small income. Should I file bankruptcy, is it feasible to fix my credit. I also have a ton of student loans though they are in forbearance until my health imporves.

Most Helpful Response

You may want to discuss this with a bankruptcy attorney because they usually offer a free initial consultation and  during that consult, often offer advice on things you can do to avoid bankruptcy.  Your income, also, may be a factor.  I'm on a disability retirement and that money cannot be touched by anyone else.   You may be below the poverty level which also means keep your money to yourself for survival.

If your health does not improve before the forebearance period ends, look online for the total disabililty discharge form for the loans.  You would have to have a Dr. fill out and submit the form and the process takes three years (they verify status and work history during this time) then the loans can be can celled.