Question

DazedandConfused12

"Filed with the circuit court"
I have a debt on my public record stating that it's "filed in the circuit court of ____" this is concerning an apartment I left after being served a notice and immediately moving before being served eviction papers, does this equal an eviction or just the debt owed to the apartment?

Most Helpful Response

It's your debt/ rent/ damages owed. Credit reports don't show evictions.

Okay, thank you! To find out if there is an eviction on record what do I need to do? I don't know if I was or not as I moved out the day after being told to pay or leave. 

Getting evicted from an apartment CAN affect your credit history.   If the landlord obtains an eviction judgment against you in court, all three major credit reporting agencies receive notice of the eviction.  This will remain on your credit report for seven years from the filing date.  Even though you left the apartment, you left without paying so you still owe the landlord. It's not unheard of that some sue for the monies owed for the  remainder of the lease. 

Evictions will also make it harder for you to rent another place should the new landlord check your credit. And, many landlords use tenant screening services to screen tenants.  Tenant screening services track down where you have lived in the past and whether or not you paid your rent on time, if you were evicted, etc.  The best way to make amends for unpaid rent is to reach out to the former landlord or collection agency and make up for those missed payments.