Question

Stormzen

Excellent credit (750+), applied for card, got terrible rate for high line of credit
I applied at BofA for a BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa, anticipating getting a decent interest rate because I've had a credit score above 750 for years. The way the online process goes, I get to give them full consent to do everything that goes into establishing a line of credit, but without specifying the interest rate that I'm interested in, or a max credit line. So, they turn around and give me the highest line I have at the highest rate I've ever seen.

I want to completely undo this, in a way that impacts my credit the least.
What is the best "credit friendly" approach to undoing this?

BofA is completely unhelpful. They tell me that I'll need to see a financial adviser to determine how I can best repair this situation.

Bummer.  You can cancel the card, since it isn't very old it shouldn't hurt your score much.  

heidimanderson

Do not cancel the account, that will affect your credit in a bad way. Leave the account open, just never use it.

BofA is AWFUL! I would never get a loan

Back out of the deal, I would NEVER have any kind of account through them ever again. . Complain to the manager. Wells Fargo is the best, they have great rates and super friendly service. 

Not a fan of credit game

... Not really a fan of games where rules are undisclosed, in general. While it's true the age of the card wasn't much, I was suspicious of canceling the card. I ended up paying it off, sending an email stating that I'd use it again if they lowered my interest rate, and then just not using it again.

Alternatively, I guess I could buy little things online and pay it off immediately after. That might do a better job of keeping me somewhere on their radar. For now, though, I'm uninterested in messing with them. I imagine that the completely paid-off balance works in my favor toward overall credit utilization...