Question

robinerin

Ex-husband ruined my credit score because of a technicality
My ex and I divorced 5 years ago and unfortunately my name was still attached to two credit cards he took. The balance on each were zeroed out after the divorce, but he subsequently racked up a substantial debt on them and both wound up as a charge-off and was sent to a collection agency. And of course, since my name was still on them, my credit took a HUGE hit. Was previously in high 700s, is now 550.

I had a lawyer send a letter to all 3 agencies, asking them to remove it, along with 1) divorce decree that states after divorce, each party is responsible for his/her own debt, 2) signed letter from ex-husband admitting that the debt incurred was his and he is responsible for it.

The agencies responded, and Equifax & Transunion removed one of the credit cards (don't know why just one), and Experian did not remove either. The lawyer, unfortunately isn't very committed or helpful (found her through my legal insurance plan).

This sucks and is a disservice to creditors because 550 is NOT a reflection of my personal credit - it's only there because of a technicality.

Should I get a different lawyer and continue to pursue? What actions should/can I take? Any advice is appreciated!!

Most Helpful Response

In your shoes I would definitely continue to pursue this. You can probably do it without the lawyer. You have all the documentation you need and it's easy to contact the credit bureaus. (http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/CreditBureauContactInfohtm.shtml).

Just be prepared to keep after them for several months until their slow little dinosaur brains and bureaucratic processes finally get it. And good luck!