Question

palmergpalmer

Equifax is requesting my 10-digit confirmation number. How do I obtain it?
I am disputing a Tax Lien on my Equifax report. Step 1 is providing my 10 digit confirmation number. What is it and how do I obtain it?

Most Helpful Response

the 10 digit number is called a report or confirmation number. The simpliest way to obtain one for free is to log onto www.annualcreditreport.com. By law this site and only tis site will give you all 3 reports free once a year. Copy the 10 digit number as you will need it. Each time you initiate a dispute the number will update so keep up with the changes for future disputes.

micheal336

Is this the stupidest thing? I click "Get Started" to open a dispute aan its asking me for a confirmation number that I dont have yet. Heres the description on the form.

it is the 10-digit confirmation number found on the copy of your Equifax Credit File, or the 10-digit confirmation number provided to you when you created your dispute online. 

This is my first step to create my dispute online so how could I have a confirmation number already? Am I missing something?

scguy2013

The confirmation number is not required. It does not have an asterik by it

no 10 digit # via 3rd party reports

Im guessing you havent actually starterd the dispute process with Eqifax.  The reason I say this is that the 10 digit number you are referring to is a number printed on the actual report from Equifax or also issued when you create a dispute.  Consider it a confirmation number for your dispute so you can log back in to get an update of the disputed issue you have already began. 

Currently there are NO third party credit reports that show this number.  Which is why Equifax is asking for it.  So when you log to Equifax and start the process of a dispute you will need to have the actual report from Equifax or click "dont have this number" to start the process without the number and use personal information related to your credit history instead.

So you can also order a report (1 free per year directly from Equifax), and use the number printed on that report to begin your dispute with Equifax.

Still need help

I have the same problem. CreditKarma sends me to the equifax page to start a dispute. I confirmed with independent searches for starting a dispute with equifax as well. The FIRST STEP they require is to enter the 10 digit number with them. How the heck can we enter the number if we haven't started the dispute yet. Would make CKarma much better if they could help make this process easier with Equifax.

scguy2013

There should be a link at the bottom of the Equifax page that says I do not have my confirmation number, that has worked for me

scguy2013

oops that was for checkig status, when trying to dispute one, the number is not required. It does not have an asterik by it.