Question

Handsonauto

Easy way to see everything I owe
I want to pay off all of my debt. What is an easy way to see everything I owe and who I call to pay it off. This is all old bad debt that has been sold and resold over ten + years.

Most Helpful Response

If it is over 10 years old you will not see it on your credit reports.  I'm not sure how you will find out who you owe after that long.  I guess you could pull your credit report and see if anyone has been soft pulling you.  Sometimes collection agencys will do that.

First, go to annualcreditreport.com to get copies of all three credit reports.  Then search for Statute of Limitations for Collections and see what it is for your state, since it varies.  When you look at your credit reports, each account may have a note stating when it is due to fall off your report.  THAT is the seven-year mark.  In my state, the SOL is 6 years, but in some states, it is four.  Do the math.  If the debt is past the SOL but hasn't fallen off yet, let it ride.  If the end of the SOL is a year or less, let it ride, or pay it off----your choice.  If it is still within the SOL, work out a "Pay for Delete" arrangement.  Anything over 7 years old could be disputed since the SOL may have expired.