Question

confusedbycredit

Duplicate collection accounts
My medical bill was sent to collections twice. I was told by ARMADA CORP (collection agency) that they will delete the duplicate accounts, so they will not appear on my credit report. I am now ready to pay for the valid accounts. What happens to the accounts once the balance is entirely paid off/closed. What is a ballpark estimate on my credit score after closing all derogatory accounts?

Since it is a medical bill it is not counting against your utilization so you will probably see no change in your scores. You may even see a decrease when you pay them if the account hasn't updated in a while. You will see an increase when the remove the duplicate account though. I would print off a copy of the duplicate report to hold for leverage. Ask them to do a "pay for delete" on the remaining account, (that means get them to agree to delete the account from your reports in exchange for your payment). If they are difficult about the situation you may want to see if they have any liability for damaging your credit with the duplicate collection, a consumer law attorney that practices in your state could answer that.