Question

CRB2507

Due date vs Billing/Reporting Date
I currently have a Captial One Quiksilver card with a balance of $300. My due date is 12/6 and my billing/reporting day is 12/9. I will be paying the card off today 12/4. Is it ok for me to use my card on 12/7 or will that mess up my score. Also is it ok to pay my bill before the due date?

Most Helpful Response

One thing to note, you billing date is not always the date the bank reports to the credit bureaus. US Bank reports at the end of the month for all my cards even though the billing dates vary. I always show a balance even though the balance is paid immediately before the statement with a zero balance is created. If I'm gaming the system to get a better score, I make 2 payments a month, 1 at the end of the month to pay the balance to zero and one to pay off the billing balance.

Definitely DO pay the bill before the due date, or else you will be charged late fees.  The billing/reporting day is the day on which the company calculates all charges made in the previous billing cycle and subtracts all payments received before sending out the bill.  Don't become so obsessed about your credit score because it can vary month by month even if you're not doing much.  As for using the card after sending in payment, it depends on how much available credit you have.  You don't want to have a purchase declined or get any over limit fees added to your bill. I can monitor my card online so can keep close track of what is available..You want to take into account weather delays when sending payments via 'snail mail.'