Question

Duke0787

Does paying the original creditor remove collections from report?
If I pay, for example, sprint instead of the collections agency, will the collections be removed from my report? I have finally (after a long year) payed my debt off completely. For the last couple of debts I contacted the original creditor directly and they accepted payment and said they would notify the collections agency. My question is if I pay the original creditor, wouldn't that mean that the debt never went to a collections agency and therefore wouldn't appear on my report after the original creditor notifies the collections agency?

Yes, the original lender should pull the account back from the collection agency thus removing it from your reports. I would try to get the original company to agree to pull it back from collections in exchange for your payment. It can depend a lot on if the collection is an in-house collection agency or a separate company but you probably would have grounds to dispute the account with the credit bureaus if you've already paid the original company.

Duke0787

Thanks! I was hoping that was the case.