Question

LadyHope65

Does paying on a bill affect whether it still goes to collections or not?
I tried to receive my transcript to go to another school, turns out I owe them tuition from about 3 or 4 years ago, my new school wont accept me without that transcript, I called my old school and they said that its going into collections in about a month, I wont be able to pay the whole thing in that time, but I can start paying some on it now, I just want to know if paying the school now will stop it from going into collections which is going to negatively affect my credit rating, or should I just wait until it goes to the collection agency to pay them?

Most Helpful Response

If possible, NEVER allow collections!!

See what you can do towards getting this paid off because anything that goes to collections will negatively impact your credit rating.

I'm just surprised it took this long for you to find out you still owed money to the school. Just for clarity's sake, go to freeannualreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  Look them over thoroughly and, if there are any entries that are not yours, file a dispute with the reporting credit bureau.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed entry(s).

Make it a regular practice to obtain and evaluate your credit reports every year.  They do make mistakes and it is up to us to make sure only OUR items (no matter how bad they may be) are truthfully reported.