Question

Bethandjacob

Does paying off the hospital force collection agency to remove from credit report?
I have some old medical bills from when I was uninsured for $12k. All accounts have been put into collections and the agency is not compromising a settlement. I have contacted the hospital and found out that I can receive a 70% discount based on my household income bringing the bills down to less than $5k. I am planning on using all my savings to pay the hospital off. Will the collections agency then be forced to removed said collections from my report since they will be paid? The hospital did not sell the debt to them, they are just contracted to collect on the debt.

Most Helpful Response

If you pay off the hospital, then there should be no debt to collect and the collectors should disappear.  I would see if you can get that in writing from the hospital just to cover yourself.  Best of luck!