Question

CeruleanGazelle

Does paying in full early result in no payment history on file?
I'm working on rebuilding my credit, and have a couple of secured cards. One from Bank of America, the other from Capital One. I've read that it's best to pay off the balance in full before the due date to avoid the interest. Having done this several times, I still don't have any payment history (good or bad) on my credit reports. Do I have to incur the interest before paying in order to get the payment history added to the bureaus?

Most Helpful Response

ok, secured acccounts do report to credit bureau's.  They might report it as a secured card but that is ok because as far as your fico score it does not matter.  Leaving a balance on ONE card between 1-9% of the credit limit is what would help your credit score.  you want to show that you are using your cards.  It is ok to use more on both cards but just pay before the statement date and leave it like I said above.

Your BOA will graduate to a regular card if you use it responsibly.It is one of the better secured cards out there.  Your Cap 1 card will not graduate but after six months they will give you a small credit limit increase on the card.  At that point you should be able to get a Quick Silver 1 card and get in there credit steps program.  You might be able to get a second unsecured card with them but you would have to close the secured card.  I wouldn't do that till you had it a year. 

All these cards report to all 3 bureau's so treat them well.  Never be late, Never miss a payment, and dont go over your credit limit.  If you do all these things you will see your credit score go up.

As far as 3 banks that graduate.... Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Navy Fed, Discover.

Only Secured Cards

First off, you should definitely keep paying the full payment before the due date! Your score will not improve if you leave a balance on the card. Next: You don't see any credit history since the banks you are using do not report secured cards since you technically aren't using credit. The point of a secured card is that after you maintain a good payment history, they will promote you to a full credit card that is no longer secured. If you want to get a secured card that will report credit, I recommend going to a small local bank that has 5 or less branches, or go to a credit union and ask them if they have a secured card that will report to the credit agencies.

icuhowie

"You don't see any credit history since the banks you are using do not report secured cards since you technically aren't using credit"

Where did you get that info?  So Wrong.

"The point of a secured card is that after you maintain a good payment history, they will promote you to a full credit card that is no longer secured."

Would like to know of 3 Different Banks National ones,  that will do this.