Question

thealey1

Does opening store cards and not spending help credit util percentage?
I need to lower my credit util percentage while waiting on paychecks to pay off my current cards. I was thinking about opening some store cards to do so, and not spending any money on them. I only have one store card right now, it's mostly paid off. Will this work?

It dependa

Yes, store cards can be used for lowering credit utlization. However, store cards dont always have high limits so you may have to sign up for alot of credit cards before getting to the level you want.

my recommendation would be to get cards like discover which usually increase ur credit limit pretty fast. Or citi/chase cards. But it all depends on how your credit is. If your credit is bad then store might be your only option (start with gap, etc that have a tiny credit limit) wait few months and then apply for discover, etc.

also, always pay at least one more dollar than minimum so that your credit report shows that you are paying at an adequate level.

yes it will lower your ratio but you will take the hit on inquiries for as many cards as you try to get.  Most store cards are usually pretty small balances too.