Question

Lsrc1974

does it hurt your credit score to close inactive accounts ? Should I just keep them open ?

Don't close!!

Just keep the accounts and use once in a while to keep them active.  This will help build the 'age of accounts' and you will retain whatever credit limits you have to add to your total available credit (the higher, the better).

confused about leaving a specific accoun

I have an account that has been inactive for years. It is from a bank that I $0 to. It is remaing open only because I can withdraw $300. I don't even live in that state any longer, so it isn't even an option to withdraw the money....to my knowledge. My credit report says that an inactive account may hurt my credit score. I, of course, don't wish to have anything that may be of a negative consequence on my credit report...what should I do?

Mymommysname

Based on your suggestion, how am I supposed to keep this account active when it's how much money I can withdraw from the bank. Yet, I live in another state now, so it is not as if I can walk into the bank to withdraw that money?