Question

Choowee2000

Does it help my credit score any?
I have been paying my student loans religiously for years. When I finally get my credit card paid off, I was going to start paying a greater amount than the monthly payment to student loans (10k left). I asked the student loan people about this, and it got back a very confusing answer. (I was a design major, obviously not finance). Does it save me $$$ and does it help my credit score any to pay bigger chunks of money to my student loans, besides just being out of debt sooner? I want to buy a house in 2016, and I'm getting my financial life in order first!

It always Pays to pay off!

Any time you can pay greater than the minimum payment on any debt it is to your benefit. paying off student loans should be high priority if you want to buy a house.  The money spent here is money you will have available to pay toward a mortgage later.