Question

Toastingham

Does Fingerhut or Gettington Report Your Full Limit?
I have a low credit score due mainly to high utilization (90+%). I hate Fingerhut because I had problems with them in the past. However, I've gotten solicitations from Fingerhut and Gettington with $400 limits. If I were to buy a small item from them, would the full limit of $400 show up on my credit report and lower my utilization?

Most Helpful Response

fingerhut

Fingerhut only reports if you don't pay your bill with them. Most of their money is made on over priced items along with higher rates. If your Credit utilization is sitting at 90% why in the world are you going out to spend more money on credit when you can't even afford to pay down the credit you already have. Getting fingerhut offers only happens with profiles of folks that don't have a pot to **** in, prove them wrong, get responsible and pay off your debt and stop buying crap you can't afford.

While your critical tone was a bit annoying, your answer was helpful. I agree with you that Fingerhut is terrible. I would've considered buying a $20 item to get $400 "available credit" to lower my utilization, but that is all. If they don't report positive, then I don't want their junk anyway.

There's a right way to use this card

I have an account, they report, it's on all 3 major bureaus. Best part is, approved initially for a $500CL, bought one item at around 35-40% of the total CL, and within just a couple months, CL jumped to $4000, then jumped again dramatically. It's overpriced merchandise yes. What I do though is look for something in their clearance section, or wait for one of their offers for free shipping (that's the best way to save usually, bc they charge fairly steep shipping costs, and then Intey to combine that with the clearance item, or with a coupon code I can find by searching/coupon code they send me to my email. By doing that little extra bit of searching, and waiting for the right timing...sales, Black Friday etc...I have been able to buy things at the very least for the same price I can buy it elsewhere, but in several cases I was able to buy some items for below the average online price. I keep this card specifically  bc they are very liberal with their CL increases, and my ratio on this card helps offset the total usage/CL for all of my cards combined. You just have to be smart about how you use it.