Question

Posted in Saving Money

Palmertom

Does consolidating higher interest cards to a lower interest card damage my credit if I close them?

Most Helpful Response

It will if you close them.

When you close credit card accounts, you lose that amount of available credit.  I have three cards that had a total limit of $3000 and my utilization rate was on the high side.  Got a consolidation card that ended up having a considerably higher credit limit and lower interest rate PLUS, the amount I consolidated was at 0% interest for 12 months.  So I now have a considerably higher total credit limit, I seldom use the older cards primarily due to their high interest rate, and my credit score went from fair to good, and has remained there.