Question

Nardy16

Does closing an account change your credit age history?
I have 6 cards and 7 lines for credit, with an average age of 3.9. One card is 9 years, one is 4 years, 3 are 3.10 years, one is 2 years and the final is 6 months. I want to close the 2 year( which also happens to have the lowest credit line). I know this will affect my utilization but i'm more concerned about this raising my average ago of history. Does a closed account still count towards the age, or is it just for open accounts?

Never close accounts

Closing accounts in good standing meaning never late is a bad idea. just limit your use of them you will take a hit if you close them.

Nardy16

But the account is only 2 years old and has a $400 credit line. Wouldn't it be wiser to keep my other 5 credit lines, all with over 800+ lines and all longer credit history.......isn't bumping up my poor age history (from the poor range to the fair range)more significant than losing $400 of credit?? Seems like the latter outweighs the former.