Question

Korivin

Does buying goods on installment affect your credit score?
I have a decent credit score at the moment, but I'd like to make it better and one of the ways suggested was to diversify my credit types (I only have cards and one closed student loan); however, I don't want to buy a house and don't need to buy a car - if I buy something expensive through an installment plan (4-10k range total purchase), would that help with my score?

It will only affect your credit score if the entity you're buying this thing from reports it to the credit bureaus. 
--

I don't know too much about rent-to-own plaecs, but I *think* that since they don't check credit, they don't bother reporting payments/non-payments to the bureaus. You will have to ask them specifically if they report or not.