Question

jgelsomini

Does being an "authorized user" raise your credit as much as having the card on your own?
my husband and i went through bankruptcy and recently got his first pre-approval for a capital one mastercard, no annual fee or deposit, just high interest 24.99% and 300 dollar limit, 5 on time payments apparently raises it.

anyway, long story short, I added myself as an authorized user because i read on there site it can help boost my credit, but by how much? I haven't gotten any pre-approvals yet because I am a stay at home mom (so technically i have no income on my credit report for them to go off of) and just need a way to help boost my credit so i can eventually apply for things on my own.

To my knowledge the card will affect your score similar to his.  Since you are married and should have very similar reports in your credit file.  It can differ though due to any differences.

Yes, I have been an authorized user on my fathers card for near 19 years now for business purposes when I run errands for him ect. and his balanceto credit ratio affects my score just as it does his.  When there are large purchases my score goes down but he always pays on time and I have actually benefited from being an authorized user!

southernbelle202

And just to note....I am a stay at home mom with no income as well, and hardly any credit of my own since everything is in my husbands name so this has definately helped raise my score!