Question

DaniB8824

Does being added as an authorized user count as a new account on my credit report?
I'm about to be added to a new credit card as an authorized user and I want to make sure it won't count as a new account to it doesn't decrease my credit length.

Most Helpful Response

The age of this account will be factored into your average age of accounts. This can work in your favor too--I had my husband make me an AU on one of his oldest accounts and it helped my score a bit. 

It will decrease the "average age of accounts". As to how much harm that could do depends on the rest of your credit profile. If the card is going to have a high limit and really help lower your current "utilization rate" then it could possibly even out and not affect much, that all depends on if you got your own cards maxed out or paid off right now.