Question

quarter21

Does an open collections hurt credit score, even though it is clearly discharged in bankruptcy?
I am literally short by a few points in getting an apartment... go figure. I looked at my credit score to see if there is any wiggle room and noticed there is still something in the collections spot that says it is open. But it also says in the remarks: Bankruptcy chapter 7
Bankruptcy discharged
Remarks
Your credit report indicates that this collections account may have been part of a bankruptcy proceeding. You may not be required to pay this debt if it has been discharged or stayed in a bankruptcy proceeding. it also says $0. could closing it help my credit score, or is t his not a big deal?

You joined this site two years before I did so hasve had plenty of time too read the articles and learn how credit works, which is the purpose of Credit Karma.  Had you done so, you might not have had to file bankruptcy which, BTW, totals your credit for ten years.  That is likely the problem, not the collection.  After you read and learn how credit works, you might be able to get what you want, within reason, and at a lower interest rate than before, as  I have and ​I'm on a fixed income.

good answer

thats good answer. Only reason why I did so was I was trying to move today. They averaged my score at 574. they want it at 580 to approve me an apartment. I had a family of 6, we tried numerous routes to pay outstanding bills, and finally with my income and family size, bankruptcy was our only choice. I just found out 2 hours ago that if I can get my average score up to 580, then they will rent to us. The place is being shown by numerous other possible applicants, but is first come first serve. wasnt trying to insult anyone who has done their homework. I simply was trying to look at my score to see if there was by chance any wiggle room, and if it was going to do anything for me to disbute an open claim that should be closed. I didnt even know if open verses closed does anything to my credit.