Question

Tuskers

Does a hard inquiry hurt credit score if it results in credit being granted?
I applied for and was granted a department store credit card. Credit karma alerted me the next day that a hard inquiry had occurred from this store, but I was approved on the spot. Since I was approved I am assuming there is no damage done?

Most Helpful Response

Too bad one cannot edit one's post when it has just posted. In my first sentence i should have said that Karma dropped me 1 point because of the hard inquiry.

I received a new credfit card and i noted that my score here at Credit Karma dropped by 1 point. Then i received the new credit card and, at that point, i had used zero credit of it but my overall credit limit had increased by quite a bit.So,Credit Karma gave me a few points because my credit utilisation had gone way down. But then  i started to use this new credit card and worked up charges amounting to 23-25% of the credit limit.This was pretty good but for Credit Karma's calculation this amounted to quite an increase from zero to 23-25% utliisation. Thus, Credit Karma took a few points away from me. I think all in all Karma took away 5 points total. But as of the current month the performance of this card should be"routine" (from Credit Karma's perspective)  and it is well used.So, i expect that the score will go up month after month from now on. In other words, don't get too hung up on what my happen in a 1-2 months timeframe if your overal strategy is sound.

Hi consumer! We granted you your card , but were going to nail your score! Have a nice day. Bizzare isn't it?