Question

Samee26

Does a credit card issuer pull a credit file on renewing a credit card resulting in a hard inquiry?
Does a credit card issuer pull a credit file upon renewing a credit card resulting in a hard inquiry?

As long as there was no lapse and the card is just renewing (dates on the card to change) then there should not be a hard inquiry. If you closed a card and are getting another one, then yes I would expect a Hard Inquiry. Contact your lender to know for sure. Usually once you have a card a card company will only check up on you with Soft Inquiries. Make sure that you read about the damage of closing accounts.

I have never had a routine hard inquiry for an existing credit card.

I was just trying to get a CC limit increase this weekend on a card (so I can make a large purchase all on one card), and one said no inquiry if I did it online, though could do one if I called on phone.

Since that one rejected it, I went to my other cards.  One, I was easily able to bump it up $5000 just by updating salary/assets.  No inquiry.  A third, no inquiry for $1900 bump.  If I wanted higher, they would require an inquiry.  This one was just a backup account, if necessary, in case the AMEX card isn't accepted.