Question

justjayli

Do you close a credit card with an annual fee once you have received a new credit card at no fee

Nope

Don't ever close an account that is in good standing, it will have an effect on your average age of accounts.

Not necessarily.  If you apply for, and are accepted, for other credit cards with the same general limit. Then close the accounts with fees. There might be a very small credit score drop for a short time.   Some cards are worth the fees if you utilize the rewards, and the rewards exceed the fee your paying.  I just closed an account for 20k because the yearly fee of $150 wasn't worth it; after I applied for, and received,  the Chase Marriott Premier card with a 26k limit. While it has a fee, I will earn $800 in points. THAT is worth the yearly $85 fee to me.  The American Express Blue Cash Preferred earns 6% back at grocery stores. Again, I earn much more than the yearly $75 fee.