Question

Posted in Taxes

kirkmyers190

Do Tax leans go away in 10 years or is it better to get help and have the amount reduced and pay it?
I have a Federal Tax Lean that was filed on 03/07/06. I had missed filing for several years and a guy I had worked with reopened his Tax filing business, He helped me file the missing years and got the IRS to not garnish me for what I owed because I didn't make enough income to repay. He told me to just do my taxes every year and in 5 years I would be clear of owing anything which I found out was a lie. I asked him and he said that he just stopped the IRS from garnishing my accounts and wages. I have been told by Credit counselors that Tax Liens drop off your record after 10 years but not sure if that is true. Either way I want to know if it's better to deal with the IRS directly about getting a reduction in the amount I owe them or is it better to go with a company that deals in getting the amount owed to the IRS? Please advise asap. Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Tax liens generally drop off after ten years, but not necessarily.  A tax lien is not to be removed from credit reports until 7 years from the date the lien is paid and released according to the Fair Credit Reporting Act. 

I don't advise dealing with the IRS yourself. They're one of the most powerful government agencies and can do pretty much what they want.  I recommend you contact a professional tax return agency, or tax attorney, or a taxpayer advocate service depending on your financial situation. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

kirkmyers190

That was pretty much my thoughts. The tax lien was filed in 2006. I trusted someone I worked with that had his own tax business. He helped me file 3 years of taxes to get caught up and told me they would keep my refunds for 5 years and then I would be free of everything. Needless to say I found out in 2011 that was not true. He had fed me a line of crap. When I asked him he said Oh No I just stopped theem from garnishing your wages. You will owe the taxes until you pay them. I quit doing business with him all togather and told everyone I knew to stay away from him and not to trust him. Any reccommendations on who to use?  I have about 3 or 4 enetered into my contacts from listening to Radio on my drive home. Optima is one and I think American Tax Relief is another. Thanks for your help.