Question

NateR13

Do Potential Creditors Look At "Highest Balance?"
Hello, all!

I was with my parents and brother when he purchased his car a few months back. The car salesman we were talking to mentioned that "Highest balance" is taken into account by creditors.

Is this true? I'm not meaning credit utilization, I'm meaning the straight "highest balance," taken anytime rather than just when the statement is issued.

For example, if I made a $2,000 purchase on my card, and paid it off immediately (before statement date), it would still show that as "highest balance."

Is having this number high bad?

Thanks!

that sounds really really nit picky. first of all, in the situation you describe, paying the full balance before the statements end, and showing a zero balnace but with a "previous" balance, effects your credit score NONE. zero. for them to somehow criticize your report outside the scope of your score is absurd. my guess, is that they were grasping at straws to upsell you on rate or something. like, oh hey i found this wrong on your credit, so you know you're not perfect. sounds like bull****. 

Also, a high balance that is paid off shows that you can handle using your card.  If you put on a high balance and then pay it off, well that is what you are suppose to do.

Thanks for the replies! I'll ignore that part then :)