Question

LearningTheHardWay

Do I try to have an account with a last payment date of 1/1/2008 dropped?
I have a collection account on my credit report that has a last payment date of Jan1, 2008, the payment status says current, account status says closed/transfer/sold. I have read that it's 7yrs + 180 days for accounts like this to drop off "naturally" yet this is still there. Do I dispute this??? I am trying to clear up my credit report so at least things are accurate.

Most Helpful Response

Contact the credit bureaus that are reporting the old account and ask them to remove it due to it's age. A phone call may be enough or dispute the account as too old to report. The three credit bureaus are Transunion, Equifax and Experian. Check out their websites to get phone number or to learn about the dispute process.