Question

Chole8

Do I need evidence to support my credit report dispute?
There is a negative account on my credit report. I paid the credit card off by June 2009. The report is showing late payments from Sept 2009 to Jan 2010. I do not have record of the payoff. Can I dispute this without evidence?

You paid the card off, but did you have late payments?  If you never had a late payment, then dispute the account with the creditor and all three bureaus.  If you have proof, great.  If not, that's OK, just ask them to provide a complete payment history.  Late payments only count against your credit score if they were within the last 2 years, so don't sweat them too much, they aren't hurting your score anymore.

Thank you

Addison170 thank you for replying.  The only late payments showing are for months after I paid the card off.  It shows late payments as of July 2009-Jan 2010 and aco**** closed Sept. 2009.  I paid the card off before June 2009 because I was relocating and didn't want to take the debt with me as I did not have a job lined up where I was going.  I sent the dispute to Equifax without and proof so we will see what happens.