Question

lilyfelicis

Do I have to pay an apartment collection that is over 7 years old?
I had to break a lease when I lost the job I had gotten right out of college back in 2009. I signed a lease in June, move out in August or September of 2009, after failing to find another job right away. I gave them my grandmother's address, as that was where I was going immediately, and I knew that if I had to move elsewhere for work, I would still get any bills sent there. I just moved, and found old utility bills and rent receipts from that apartment, but NO bills for what I owed them for breaking the lease. But I recently got a notice from a law firm about owing them about $650 or so. But I am wondering if I even have a responsibility to pay them, if they never tried to collect before. I literally NEVER received any kind of bill or any correspondence from that place, EVER after I moved out. I even called in November 2009 to ask about owing them money, and the manager said that they had re-rented my apartment quickly, and I didn't owe them anything; I asked for something in writing, and didn't get that, either. What is my duty here? On the one hand, I did break the lease; on the other, they never tried to collect until 2017, for a lease broken in 2009.

Look up the "statute of limitations" to be sued for this type of debt in your state, "written contract, statute of limitations for (your state) is what you want to look for. Even if it has expired and they take you to court, you still must show up for court to use the "sol" as your defense. I do not see a debt collector taking you to court for a small amount like that. That tells me that the debt collector is violation the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act). Do some reading on this and consult an FDCPA law firm for a consult. Most will provide a free consult and charge no out of pocket expenses to you.