Question

frances1924

Do I have to pay a debt from 2007 when trying to clean up credit report?
I called a collection agency to pay off a debt that was showing on my credit report. While on the phone with him, he told me I still have an outstanding collection with them from 2007 for an insurance company. This debt is not on my credit report. Since it is 9 years later, do I still have to pay it?

Legally NO

Specially since its not on your report, don't pay it.  They are just trying to get as much $$ out of you as they can.

If it suddenly pops up on yor report, which could happen since you spoke to them about it, they might try to claim that the collections "clock" was reset when you spoke to them.  If they do write a validation letter.  Google it if you need a template. 

If the "statute of limitations" has expired to be sued for the debt, then no. If you have finished your other business with this debt collector I would not speak to them any more.