Question

1PrincessJAE

Do I have to accept the new credit card once my current one has expired?
I think my credit card is doing more harm than good to my credit score. I was wondering if the bank sends me a new credit card once my current one has expired, do I have to accept it or can I just refuse it? I don't want a credit card anymore because I have a hard time managing it. If I had not applied for one, my credit score would be great because I have never been late paying my car note.

Most Helpful Response

Closing out your credit card may actually cause your credit score to decrease even further. When credit cards are used in a responsible manner, it actually builds credit and raises your credit score. You should really try to bring the balance under control. Your credit card utillization should never exceed 30% of your credit limit (don't ever max out your credit card(s) unless it is for a dire emergency).

1PrincessJAE

Thank you!!!!  I read here that having your credit card limit is also a good way to make the score higher so I did that yesterday.  I'll keep it active and just use it for emergencies...I've already taken it out of my wallet.

If you have trouble managing it, put it away or on ice (actually freeze it in a block of ice) so you won't be tempted.  Do thaw it out and use it once a year for a small purchase, then pay it off right away.  That will help your scores go up.

1PrincessJAE

Thank you so much...that sounds like an excellent idea.