Question

CinnamonGummiBear

Do I have grounds to dispute?
Enhanced Recovery (collection agency) updates my credit report for an old AT T bill but AT T isn't listed on my report at all. I thought that both the collection agency as well as the original account had to be listed on the report for it to be a legitimate mark against me. Can the collector still report even though AT T doesn't? Do I have grounds to dispute for removal?

Most Helpful Response

AT&T does not have to have an account reported for this to be valid. Usually with utility bills, medical bills and such there will only be one negative account shown (the collection account) because companies like that do not report to the credit bureaus. If this account will not fall off due to the seven year reporting time period any time soon, you may want to try to get a "Pay For Delete Agreement" if you can afford to pay the bill.

Great Quesion. My only thought would be that since AT&T can't recover their money so they hired these Agency to recover the funds?

I'd be checking all three credit reports to see what is showing. Go to annualcreditreport.com to get them. I had AT&T for a few months (didn't like the service) and saw that the account had been on my credit report.  You should find a date of last payment and date it should fall off the report. If nothing is there, then  send a letter to the collection agency requesting validation of debt and that you expect to receive it within 30 days. If they can't provide a proper validation, they cannot attempt to collect.