Question

asc123

Do I go after Collections or outstanding first?
I am 28 years old. I got a job making 80k a year. I messed up when I was in my teens and took out a couple cards. I owe about 14k in cc debt, 4000 that went to a collection agency, and 40k in student loans. my credit score is 618, I just opened one of those secured cards to help me rebuild my credit, and i'm not sure what to go after first.

Most Helpful Response

If unpaid, the collection accounts will automatically fall off your report 7 years from date they went delinquent.  If you pay them without negotiating a "pay per delete", then they can stay on for 7 years after you pay them (although paid is slightly less damaging than unpaid).  You can try to negotiate with the collectors to get them to delete the accounts once paid (pay per delete), if they agree, be sure to get it in writing before you pay.  Make sure you don't miss any payments on your new card and pay what you can (and have to) on the collection accounts.  Have you already consolidated your Federal Student loans?  If not, check into that (you can call Crest at 469-619-0644 to see if that would save you money).  Best of luck!