Question

snimmy

divorce/car loan
my soon to be x husband and i have a car loan i was awarded car in divorce he makes payments which he says he wont any more if he stops my credit will be effected is there anything i can do besides pay off car .i cant afford that. i pay ins. on car and he wont sign papers for me to register it so its sitting in my driveway and has been since dec.

Most Helpful Response

First let me say I am sorry to hear about your divorce. Under the circumstances I would contact he bank and explain to them what is happening. The bank needs to know that you are cooperative during these difficult times. If you can't afford the car, then you must try to sell it. Easier said than done, but clean it up nicely and take it to perhaps Carmax, they give free estimates as to what your car is worth and will buy it. Hopefully it will be enough to payoff the car. If not, you may be forced to pay he difference. Sadly, many people get their cars repoed due to a divorce, if its a joint loan it will affect your ex as well. Good luck.

divorce/car

Sorry to hear that. I left my husband of 8 years. Mine was a DV issue. I already had the car in my name and he was the COSIGNER. I left to my homestate, went to get car registered here(in home state) I had to pay out the nose to get all in my name. I was lucky the title had Mrs so and so OR mr so and so. Who has the title? If you were awarded this car you should  have the title. 

You may have to refinance this car.