Question

Jaimie1984

Divorce, need help!
When I divorced my ex-husband in May 2012, the divorce decree says he is required for a car loan that was his, but in both of our names, and another account that was in both of our names. It means I am no longer responsible for these accounts. However, their still on my credit report and have a HUGE impact on my score as one was a car repossession that I didn't want to do in the first place! How do I get the companies to get these off of my scores now that I am no longer responsible and he signed the divorce papers saying he would assume the debt.

Part of your history.

The accounts that were in both your names are still part of your credit history because, at the time, you both were co-purchasers/owners of the accounts.  These accounts will remain on your credit report for 7 years because of this.  That your ex-husband will assume the debt post divorce is fine for the debts that existed at the time of your divorce, but that doesn't undo the history that you had together. 

Starting over after a divorce isn't easy (been there) but it can be done.  You have to build your own credit history and move on (did that).  It takes patience, but you can do it.