Question

j11j11

Dispute through Eqifax reset my "account closed" date to today
I recently performed an online dispute through the Equifax website for an account the court deemed my ex-wife is responsible for. She let the car get repossessed 6.5 years ago and I am sick of having that only blemish on my reports. After my online dispute was noted on my report and ultimately seems to still be my responsibility, the account closed date was reset to todays date. I never admitted this is my debt nor did I contact the creditor myself. Is this reset of the date resulting from a dispute through reporting agencies standard practice? Do I have options to have the original date placed back on the report? It would be nice as it was 1 year from the 7.5 year limit.

Most Helpful Response

The updating to closed will not reset that credit reporting time period, the credit reporting time period starts when the account first became delinquent. If you have documentation from the court saying that you are not responsible for the debt, submit it to the credit bureaus as proof. If they do not accept court documents as proof that it is not your debt, then it is time to file some complaints against the credit bureaus and hire yourself a consumer law attorney and get ready to start suing.

Answer to my question

I found an answer to my own question. Here it is as it may help others.

According to one of the 3 reporting agencies website....

The closed date does not matter. That date only reflects recent activity. The original "Delinquint date" is the date for the 7.5 year dropoff