Question

JessicaPerew

Dispute results say information is accurate - BUT IT'S NOT
I disputed a collections account that has all of a sudden shown up on my credit report. I didn't know what in the world it was referring to but there was no way I had an account with this company during the time frame suggested in the report (2015). The results of the dispute were that this information is accurate and the item will be staying on my report. In the meantime, I receive a packet from this creditor and the account is from 2011! It plainly shows this in the documentation that was sent to me to justify the account on my credit. I dispute the accurate of the information again because it is INACCURATE. RESULTS? They have again said it is accurate. This is crazy! It clearly is not accurate, why are they not correcting this information? What do I do now?

Most Helpful Response

If you feel that wrongdoing is happening here, contact a FDCPA attorney for a consult. (fair debt collection practices act). Check out the website of Kimmel & Silverman and see if they practice in your state.

You have to have solid proof that it is inaccurate. Otherwise, you will likely have to wait until it dies, which may likely be next year (7 years after it showed up in collections, unless you made payments on it.) 
--

Note that you may also want to check the state's Statute of Limitations (to see if the debt is too old to even bother with on your part, since any debt older than SoL means they cannot sue you for it).