Question

rlambro

dispute resolved incorrectly, help needed!
Hi all,
I have been disputing a $280 medical collection on my credit report which is the only negative things on there. I have been going at this for two months now and finally have made some progress, I think.

I disputed this with all 3 CB. TU deleted it and the other 2 said it was valid.

I contacted the collection agency directly and asked for proof of the debt. They sent me a 4 page paper showing the debt and the amount was only $145 not $280 as it shows on my reports.

I re-disputed it again with EF & EX and provided a copy of the info the collection agency sent me that showed the true amount.

Today after the 2nd round of disputes I I get a letter from Equifax saying that the disputed item has been updated. "This item has been updated to report as paid in full. If you have additional questions about this item please contact XXX"

The problem is I never paid a cent to anyone for this nor have I confirmed that the debt is valid. I disputed it and asked for it to be deleted. Am I able to dispute the result of the dispute so that it will be deleted?

This "paid in full" will re-age my debt and it reflects a current collections vs being a 4.5 year old debt from 2012.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

The bureau themselves did not make the determine of the amount or the paid off status, this is what was reported to them by the collection agency.  When you disute, the bureau contacts the creditor to see input.   It appears that TU tends to take the creditors side and probably send a notification to the creditor of their action.  The other two, sends requests to the creditor to ask for validation.   The bureau themselves do not arbitrate the outcome.  Had the creditor not responded, they would have been deleted.  It appears that they did repond that the debt was valid and on the subsequent dispute, changed the amount and status.   Although, they could have sold the debt to someone else and this is why they show it as paid.   If the debt is not yours, that is the position you should have taken and maintained.   On the subsequent dispute, you kind of agreeded to the debt and made the balance due your issue.   When a dispute is decided against you; you do have the option of adding to that record so that anyone who pulls your record will also get your statement as part of the disputed item.   To answer you last question, personally, I feel certified letter is the best form of the dispute process.  I've never completed a dispute using the online process.   Personally, I like the paper so if I had to take further steps, I have the documents to support my position.  You won't get this with the online dispute process.

No, it will not reset the fall off date.  However, I would question the Credit Bureaus integrity in making sure they reported your file as accurate as they claimed. It is illegal for them to say that they have done an investigation and don't change anything when in fact you yourself can receive proof that the amount owed is less. The credit bureau was supposed to delete the file altogether when they found out that the amoung owed was less than what the collections company stated. Something seems fishy with this whole process.  I would write another dispute asking to remove the file as they were and still are unable to represent your true credit character accurately as stated by the fair credit reporting act something point something look that up.

rlambro

Thank you! I will try this. Do you think I should dispute it online or send a certified letter to the CB?