Question

movingup2014

Dispute or Pay For Deletion? Please help!!
Hi All;

I have an old cable account that was opened prior to 2009 and it has shown up on my credit report with an Open Date of 12/1/2012 and was last updated on 3/1/13. The past due amount is $106 and the Balance Owed is $140.

I'm not sure if I should dispute it, request a Letter of Validation or Pay For Deletion. I'm read stories of people paying for deletion only to find that the item turns up on the credit report later, so really just want to get this removed once and for all.

Any advice will be *greatly* *appreciated*!!! Thank you in advance!!

Most Helpful Response

File with the credit bureaus only

The collections agencies would update your debt which would extend the fall off date even further. So just call the credit bureaus and make a dispute and wait about a week and check up on the status. They have a month to reply and if they cannot reply and verify the debt then it falls off. I will list the dispute numbers I used for my disputes. Doing this method I just found out today 1 public charge $2,127.27, collection $120, and another collection for $1,537.00 ( was my brothers not mine) and all were deleted in my favor. So you can do it...

Transunion disputes: 1-800-916-8800

Experian disputes: 1-800-493-1058

Hi, I am in similar situations as you

First I would dispute it since if the disputing party doesn't respond within 30 days the debt gets automatically deleted from your Credit report. If your dispute is unsuccessful, I would just contact the company and try to negotiate a pay for deletion type deal, but only pay when they send you an official letter agreeing to the pay for deletion deal. I got one thing off my credit report by disputing and the other party not responding on time. I also got a second thing off by just calling them up and setting up a pay for deletion, so try one way first,  then the other. I hope this helps you. Take care....

movingup2014

Thank you civicious85!  Best of luck to you!!

movingup2014

movingup2014

movingup2014

movingup2014

When disputing this item, should I file with the credit bureaus or with the collection agency directly?

movingup2014