Question

Mommykins72

Dispute old medical bills?
I have an old Dental bill of my son's, we paid $600 upfront and were under the impression remainder was left to insurance. Then comes nearly a $2000 bill. Would it be worth disputing for lack of information or misleading information regarding cost of services? I discovered two other old debts resulting from a hospital under my insurance coverage having on-site radiology and ER physicians that were not contracted with my insurance resulting in a larger bill. I tried to dispute with collections way back when that they did not properly notify consumers that those employed in their hospital and services (radiology) do not contract with my insurance like the hospital did. Any chance Transunion and Equifax would remove based on these disputes?

You could try, but the chances of success are slim. You never know, you may get lucky and get them deleted, but be aware that when you dispute old negative accounts it causes them to update (if they are not deleted) and the update causes damage to your scores. I would make sure that the "statute of limitations" has expired on these debts before you do anything, you don't want to rock the boat if you can still be sued for the debts.

jeanmarie2

if its in collections & its an old medical bills id sure DISPUTE IT. id deny it then id ask for an itemized bills of exactly what these charges were for because i feel they are incorrect..i read a few debt attorneys on here claiming ALWAYS dispute medical bills in collections because when hospitals send this info to the collections they dont have access to these documents that PROVE you owe that debt & usually they cannot get them because the hospitals wont sent them your personal medical records that would be illegal w/o your permission

the guy said dispute it make them prove its your debt and make them prove that bill is correct & 99 out of 100 they will then be forced to drop it because this kind of info doesnt travel to the collections agency so they have no way to prove these things if you dispute it