Question

sisterbluehorse

dispute a collection on my credit report
I have a collection on my credit report from Portfolio for $161.00. This account was previously with another Bank, and I had took care of this account. I had made one purchase on the Paypal card, and it was not what I thought it would be, and they credited the amount of the purchase of $17.95, and have a email proving they told me it would be credited. The balance of the amount showing in collection is their late fees. I got a letter from the original bank that sold out to Portfolio telling me that all charges were refunded, but Portfolio will not accept this information. I closed this account 5 years ago because of this problem I had. I dispute the entire amount of $161.00 (the original purchase was $17.95, the balance was late fees). I sent all the information to the previous bank that held my Paypal account, and the letter I receive told me the fees were refunded, thereby I owed them nothing, had a zero balance, but again the company that bought out the Bank "Portfolio" will not accept what I have, talked with them numerous times, but they will not take my proof, so they turned it over to collections, which was wrong, thereby why I dispute the entire amount that is showing in collections

Most Helpful Response

Try this!

First thing to do is find out if this account  was reported to all 3 credit bureaus. If so, write a letter explaining your problem and ask the bureaus to delete this bogus collection. Next, make 3 copies of your proof and send one to each credit bureau (certified letter via receipt) with your letter. By law the bureaus have 30 days to respond to your dispute. This should take care of this unfortunate situation. Also, I wouldn't advise you to do the online dipute process because you will be giving up some of your rights. I listed the bureau address below for you. I hope this helps!

Equifax, P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241. 
To report fraud: (800) 525-6285 or write to address above. 

To order a credit report: (800) 685-1111. 

To opt out of pre-approved offers of credit: (888) 567-8688. 

Website: http://equifax.com/

Experian, P.O. Box 2104, Allen, Texas 75013. 

To report fraud: (888-397-3742) or write to address above. 

To order a credit report: (888) 397-3742 

Website: http://www.experian.com/

Trans Union, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, California 92634. 

To report fraud: (800) 680-7289 or write to address above. 

To order credit report: (800) 916-8800. 

Websitehttp://www.transunion.com/

Send all your documentation to the three credit bureaus either online at www.annualcreditreport.com or by mail (that website has their addresses).  Also, go to website for Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Federal Trade Commission and file complaints against the collection agency for trying to collect a debt that has been paid.  Keep doing this every 30 days until it is removed from your reports.  Best of luck!

sisterbluehorse

Addison, I contact all 3 credit bureaus and disputed this account already, this was almost 5 years ago, so what is the easiest way possible to clear this up?  I'm disabled and it is hard for me to get around, thank you so much for your response

Kimela

Addison170

Go to www.FTC.gov and www.consumerfinance.gov and file complaints online, no need to leave the home.  Also, if you only disputed the accounts with the bureaus once, keep at it.  Go online to each bureau: www.equifax.com/creditreportassistance, www.experian.com/dispute and www.transunion.com/dispute.  Don't give up until the data is corrected or deleted.  It may take several months of constant harrasment.

DISPUTE COLLECTION OF $161.00

I dispute this amount that is in collections, for I made one purchase of $17.95, and it was not what it was suppose to be and the company refunded the amount to my paypal account via email.  The amount over and above the original purchase is all late fees, so I dispute the entire amount