Question

Jan112012

Discover card reported credit decrease
Discover card reported a credit decrease recently on a card that was discharged in chapter 7,
8 years ago. This caused my score to drop about 10 points. I have worked hard since 2005
to improve my score. Is it legal for them to report something that was discharged that long ago? How do I dispute this?

Most Helpful Response

7 years is the longest time that a negative item (like collection, public record...) can stay in your credit report. Hard inquiries stay only 2 years. Those should automatically disappear from your report after 7 years (yours was 8 years ago). You can contact directly the bureau (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax/CSC) for removal. I think a call should do.