Question

jeanette1010

Discover Card Collections
I have a discover card that shows up as a charge off/collections. Does Discover Card sell its charge offs to collection agencies or does it just hire them for the collection process.I am trying to rebuild my credit. This account is suppose to come off in dec2016 I want to figure out if I should pay it of for a deletion or not its $4k I started jan2015 tu524 ex515 eq518 they are now at tu687ex677eq673 according to CK.alot of disputing .

I am not sure if Discover sells their charge offs or has an in house collections, but the bigger question would be is if Discover does pay for deletes. Most major card issuers will not do PFDs, I am not saying that you couldn't try, but take into consideration that if you call up Discover and ****er back and forth for a PFD and you can't get them to agree and decide not to pay it, that may bring attention to the account and it may get sent to a collection company and have a collections show up on your report. I guess though if that did happen, debt collectors are usually more apt to do PFDs.

Also, is the account updating monthly now? If it hasn't updated in a while and you start messing around with it, they may update it and that will result in a score point loss. If you did pay it off, even without the deletion of it, it would still help your score even if it did update because that 4k is most likely causing utilization damage.