Question

Pat593949

Disabled veteran, want to buy house. Trying to figure out how much I can afford.
I have been looking at loan calculators to see how much I can afford. But they all ask for your pre-tax income or your gross income before taxes. I do not pay taxes on the money I get. So how can I figure out what I can afford? If the loan calculator takes into account your taxes then wouldn't it be different for me since I do not pay taxes?

Most Helpful Response

The majority of people do (or are supposed to) pay taxes, so that is why the simulator calculates that way.  I suggest checking with the VA home loan department or FHA since they can calculate affordability based on income.  Remember that there are other costs to consider such as insurance, property taxes and the inevitable appliance repair/replacement or home repair.  Those costs can really add up.