Question

Painwarrior

Disability and Credit Score, Advice?
Ok, so i had some unexpected health problems happen shortly after i opened my first credit account. Severe pain, fatigue, etc. I have been in and out of work for months, and just recently got back to work on a trial period while i fight for disability, which will take a lot of time. I am now trying to pay down my balances but during the time my back went out, my first card became delinquent. I know that deliquent accounts can affect your score for a very long time, does anyone have some solid advice on how i can increase it? I have been able to make payments on time, and usually pay a little bit more then the minimal do. I basically do what i can. What i owe is manageable and should not take long to pay off thankfully. I am curious if anyone here has been in this boat and can lend me some advice to get my score back up. I know that it will take time.

Most Helpful Response

You're making a good start by paying more than the minimum every month and getting the debtpaid in full will help greatly.  Getting a good understanding of credit and how to improve your score can be obtained by reading the articles and using the tools provided here since that is the purpose of Credit Karma.  I am on disability which means a fixed income and the tinformation here helped me to improve my score greatly.   

Thank you very much, it is nice to know i am not alone when it comes to this. I don't owe a lot, under $1,000 from all sources. My score dropped down to around 500 which is really low and it was at 600 before all of this started. I am working my way toward a newer car and I'd like to have some credit built up so that i can finance or lease one on my own. How quickly can i expect to repair it once i have everything paid off?