Question

houstonwehaveuhoh

Deleting oldest, maxed out credit card from my report? Advice please!
Long story short, my fathers now ex-wife of 15 years unknowingly added me as an authorized user of a credit card she's since maxed out. She's really hard to get ahold of so I haven't been able to get too many details on when I was added, etc. What I can see from what Credit Karma provides, is that the account was opened in 1996 but because I don't know her SSN, the card provider (Chevron) won't give me any more information.

I'm 24 years old, currently sitting at a 600 CS with a utilization percentage of 66%. I have my own credit cards that hold a $300 CL with a balance of $0, another with a $700 CL with a balance of $300, and finally a balance of $27,000 on a $38,000 auto loan. The card in question is a $2900 CL with a balance of $2850.

I'm extremely frustrated because I applied for a new apartment and was shocked when I was almost denied because of my credit score, when my score previously had always been good. This is the lowest my CS has been - pretty much ever - and I'm feeling like it isn't my fault.

Is it in my best interest to take action with this and get my name removed from this card because it's maxed out? Or should I let it be because it is a 20 year old credit history?

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

You need to do what ever it takes to get your name off the Account and the Account removed from your Credit Report.

If the account is showing up on your credit report,  they can look up the account with your SSN # or other personal info.

Also look at filing a complaint at   http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

Good Luck as it will take some work from you.