Question

Posted in Retirement

carebear45

Debt VS. Savings
I inherited an IRA. I am trying to decide if I should withdraw the funds and pay the massive amount of taxes to just pay off all my debt and be free from everything?? I'm trying to afford a home soon. Should I leave the funds in the IRA and try to use the equity in the home to consolidate?

Most Helpful Response

Don't touch that IRA until retirement unless you want to pay a bunch of penalties, which is what would happen.  Let it continue building.  Do not take out a home equity loan to pay debts, either because doing so actually puts the house at risk if you should default on that loan repayment.  Instead,look up Dave Ramsey and follow his intelligent advice on debt repayment.  Also, re-read the articles here so you can better understand how credit works and how you can make it work for you.