Question

valsburger

Debt Validation Letter - Commonwealth Financial Services
I sent in a Debt Validation letter via certified mail on 3/5/2015 in response to a letter I received from them stating I owe for 2 separate medical bills, total amount of $336.24. The providers listed are familiar to me but they don't list the dates of service and I don't recall ever getting bills for these amounts. The letter from CFS is dated 2/17/2015 and the collections showed up on my reports on 2/26/2015. The letter was offering me a 25% discount for payment in full and signed by "Matthew Smith". Today, I received return signature on the DV letter, signed by Mary Kobrick. Five hours later they called me for the fourth time (previous calls dated 2/26, 3/3, and 3/6). They never leave a message. I am just curious as to what others' experience has been with DVs and if this company is ever receptive to pay for delete requests should it get that far. Also, am I correct that they were technically not allowed to call me today since they received this letter? Or would that cease in communication during the DV period technically start tomorrow? Thanks for any information you all can provide regarding this company and their practices.

Most Helpful Response

These people have violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act big time!! After receiving the validation letter (and you have the card to prove receipt) they may not attempt collections until after you had had the chance to receive the validation.  If the proper validation has not been received, they may not attempt to collect at all.  You may also be entitled to punitive damages from them.  Check the FDCPA online for details, because I'm kind of "rusty" on that.

It turns out I was mistake. It wasn't Commonwealth that called me, it was someone else calling from the same area code, and they did leave a message.  Don't want to post anything inaccurate, I just happened to check my cell phone messages after work last night and wanted to add that here.

Does anyone know what a typical response to a DV letter might be from Commonwealth, or can anyone share their personal experiences dealing with them?